Simon, from Planet Simon, gave me this idea.
Each year, he writes a letter for himself, to forget about and re-open the next turn of year. I think it is a great way to keep track of one’s goals, and see how you have grown through the year…
I decided to try it out. So here it is.
Dear 2020 Cyranny,
I hope this letter finds you doing well. If you are reading this, it means two things; you are still alive, and still blogging. That’s a good start.
As you must remember, 2018 was up to a rough start for us. The events of the beginning of the year were unexpected and troubling. We then turned fourty, which didn’t seem like such an important milestone, but turned up to be a big step to take. Luckily, we’re not afraid to get older, so that wasn’t an issue. But changing decades came with a lot of questioning about who we are, and who we want to become.
In short, I guess I could sum it up by saying we want to be a better person. But that sounds silly, because I have the feeling this should be every human being’s ultimate goal in life. But we agreed to listen more to ourself, keep negativity to the lowest in our life, and be more proactively giving with people who need a little help.
I think that if we can achieve that, it means that you’ll be a better version of me already!
I hope you’ll open this letter looking back at 2019 with a content heart.
I know it all relies on me to make this happen, and I promise to work hard to make you proud.
You know all too well that we’re not a resolutions taker. But here are a couple of goals I hope you’ll be able to check out of our to-do list when you’ll read this.
- I want to try to work less, so we get more time to take care of ourself. Even if it means eventually considering leaving our current job.
- I want to find ways to go out and help people in a significant way. Because it is easy to wait for people to ask for a helping hand. It is much better to go ahead and offer help without being asked.
- I want to take us back to Denmark again. We didn’t get to travel to Vikingland in 2018, and that’s a shame.
- I want to catch up on our Danish learning. We’ve worked so hard to learn the basics, I know that with constant efforts, we can get really good at it.
- I want to work on fixing some relationships that are important for us, but got put on “hold” for different reasons. If I fail, at least it will not be for lack of trying.
That’s a lot of work, I know. But I have 12 months to go! I am confident, and although I know there will be ups and downs during the year, I hope you’ll have a lot of good things to pass on to 2021 Cyranny.
Sending you much love from the past year,